Tuesday 26 January 2010

Too Tired to be Tested

"Sorrow can be alleviated by a good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine."
St. Thomas Aquinas

I came across this quote last night and it made me smile. However, I don't especially love baths and wine can give me a headache, I can definately identify with the sleeping part. Today, in fact, was a terrible day and a prime example. I was exhausted. 7 1/2 months of pregnancy, the incessant babble of a two year old, and the inevitable food battle with my seven year old, put me over the edge. I knew I was tired. I knew life was going to be hard to deal with. Yet, I was still unable to keep Monster Mommy in her cage.
~
I finally had a chance to take a nap. As I fell asleep, I felt as though the world was going to end. My eyebrows were furrowed and my mouth turned in a frown. My eyes were even slightly damp as if they could cry. The last thing I did was say a silent prayer: "Lord, what do I do now? Come Holy Spirit." As I slept, I dreamed. I don't remember the dream, but I was aware of my body and spirit being renewed in increments.
~
Once again, "good sleep" had brought me back from the brink. It is one thing I can do to keep at least a little more peace in our little family. Tonight, even though it's Friday, I think we will all be turning in a little earlier than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment